1. Introduction to Canto Auto School Rules and Regulations concerning the driver's
2. History of the Motor Car : Stages of the car and trends, new materials in
manufacturing, radial tires, computer technology, safety features, the brake
system, types of car engines etc
3. Basic Driving Skills: Driving in the center of the lane with good driving distance
and speed control, no excessive braking, making squared off lefts and rounded off
rights using the hand-over- hand method of steering with eye/hand coordination,
and proper skills in lane selection.
4. Basic Driving Maneuvers: Skills used to control the vehicle, use of the driving
mirrors, 12-15 second visual lead etc.
5. The Smith System: The Smith System is one of the most important driving
concepts that we would be stressing on through out the program. Aim high in
steering, get the big picture, keep eyes moving and scanning the environment,
leave yourself and out, make sure others can see you and space cushion driving.
6. Visual Perceptual Skills: Establish a visual lead, night driving, railroad crossings,
blind spots and using mirrors effectively.
7. Driver Qualifications- Physical : Importance of good vision, correctable physical
defects, handicapped drivers, night driving and driver license restrictions.
8. Highway Systems and driving: Color codes, road side markings, exiting and
entering the highway, passing, merging with traffic, and the use of maps.
9. Effects of Drug and Alcohol: Blood alcohol content, under 21 offenses, repeat
offenses, penalties and legal implications.
10. Inclement weather driving skills: Use of lights, cruise control, front and back
wheel drive, all wheel drive, black ice, threshold braking, hydroplaning, skid
control, ice, rain, snow, fog and winter driving.
11. Driving emergencies: Brake failure, going off the road, blow outs, slick surfaces,
headlight failure and emergency braking.
12. Vehicle purchase and Maintenance: Buying a used or new car, leasing a car, style,
size, economy, insurance premium, safe colors, safe operational practices,
preventive maintenance, tire inspection, alignment and balance etc and standard
13. Insurance Information: Premiums, what accidents and road violations do to your
insurance rates, insurance coverage's in Massachusetts, what to do when involved
in an accident.
14. Final Examination.